Author Topic: iPad mini in-dash  (Read 8287 times)

Offline Distinct04ZQ8

• Colorado Driver
  • Canada355.ca Recruit
  • BODYBAGD 355
  • Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Achieve 1000 posts. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. For participation and being in attendance for SECSM 2011. For winning an award at SECSM 2011. Winning Truck of The Month. For becoming a Canada355.ca Administrator. How-To's & Donations. Becoming a Canada355.ca President. For organizing/hosting a Meet/Event for Canada355.ca.
    • Awards
iPad mini in-dash
« on: November 07, 2013, 08:17:13 PM »
Another winter project is to install an iPad mini in the dash by modifying the stock radio bezel. I bought a spare bezel today and have drafted some blueprints. There is enough room on the sides to cut out enough width (7.87") to fit the iPad but the height will require getting a bit more creative since the black bar (where your traction control button, or 4WD buttons are located) interferes with the height of the iPad (when mounted sideways) which is 5.3" so I will need to get rid of the black bar, cut into the bezel and fill the void space probably with fibreglass and sand smooth for paint. I only have the traction control button on mine so relocating it will be relatively easy. I may also relocate the hazard button and move both down to the bottom of the bezel or integrate them into the console I'm building.

I'll have to talk to my audio buddy about using the iPad as my headunit because I think others have had to jam a stereo headunit or deck into the glovebox to make it work. I think he mentioned running a digital 2 channel crossover which allows for audio input from the iPad and RCA out to the amp. Then need to run a 4 channel for vocals and a monoblock for the sub. I'll let him figure that part out anyways.

Will update thread as progress is made.

2004 ZQ8 Crew Cab 3.5L I5 (work in progress)
Follow the build on Instagram #projectbodybagd

Offline Terrible_1

• True Drafter
  • Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Winning Truck of The Month. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years.
    • Awards
Re: iPad mini in-dash
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
Good luck, these dashes look awesome with an ipad stuffed in there. check out this for some good tips:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl5S4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl5S4</a>

Offline NVR2LOW

• Canada355.ca Veteran
  • NVR2LOW & THE 2 LOW CREW (WIFE, SON & DAUGHTER)
  • Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times For purchasing a Canada355.ca Contributing Exclusive Membership. Finished in 3rd place at the end of the Picture Challenge Game. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Achieve 1000 posts. Winning Truck of The Month. For purchasing a Canada355.ca Premium (One Year) membership. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. For becoming a Canada355.ca Administrator. Has had their 355 in a magazine, on a retailer's website, or promoted Canada355.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
Like this idea. Look forward to updates.

Canada355.ca Admin, Moderator & East Coast Manager
2007 Chevrolet Colorado LT ZQ8, 2" Belltech Drop Ball Joints & 2" Blocks, Checkmate FX Flush Mount Bed Cover, Bedrug

Offline fox23

• Krypton Fabrications
  • Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. Winning Truck of The Month. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2014. For winning an award at WCSM 2014. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Awarded to a member for helping another individual with no personal gain How-To's & Donations. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013. For winning an award at WCSM 2013. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. For becoming a Canada355.ca Vendor or Site Sponsor.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
there was a member on the nation i think that did this. i was thinking about doing it as well but wasn't a fan of the deck behind the dash idea. i believe that the guy on the nation used a harness to avoid this and it was around $200-$300. im excited to see how you do it.

Offline fox23

• Krypton Fabrications
  • Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. Winning Truck of The Month. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2014. For winning an award at WCSM 2014. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Awarded to a member for helping another individual with no personal gain How-To's & Donations. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013. For winning an award at WCSM 2013. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. For becoming a Canada355.ca Vendor or Site Sponsor.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »

Offline Terrible_1

• True Drafter
  • Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Winning Truck of The Month. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:19:55 PM »
In that video I posted above they show how to do it without a head unit for pretty cheap

Offline fox23

• Krypton Fabrications
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »
yea, im not a huge fan of the auxiliary cable/external volume control system tho. usually they don't provide the best sound quality.

Offline Jesse Ray

• For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2016 For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2015. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Winning Truck of The Month for the Second Time. Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2009 For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2010. For purchasing a Canada355.ca Premium (One Year) membership.
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »
Good luck, these dashes look awesome with an ipad stuffed in there. check out this for some good tips:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl5S4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl5S4</a>

I posted this same vid in the random videos section a while ago. Been a fan iof mighty car mods the last 2 years.
Maaaaadddddddddddd

Jesse Ray
07 ext cab, 3.7L, Z71 4wd Lifted!
December 2011 TOTM winner

Offline Wheelerr88

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • Achieve 1000 posts. Awarded to a member for helping another individual with no personal gain How-To's & Donations. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »
Looking forward to what your plans are, i once dreamed of a 7" tablet in the dash but imo the only way to do it is aux-rca's plugged into a good digital sound processer instead of right into the amp like the nation guy did.  But a good dsp is like 400+ so i didnt pursue it, plus i have a crappy playbook as a tablet lol.  Goodluck! In for progress pics.
2012 colorado crew cab z-71 v8
My Build Log : http://www.canada355.ca/index.php?topic=5743.0

Offline 800800

• Canada355.ca Veteran
  • I'm a "Special" Edition!
  • Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Achieve 2500 posts. Achieve 1000 posts. How-To's & Donations. Has/Had public service job; Police, Firefighters (volunteer), EMT, TSA, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 12:34:04 AM »
In for updates! Might be using this as an inspiration over the winter when I go to make my new center console with integrated GPS unit.
#800800forTOTY
"Steadfast soldiers with the hands of gods, with numbers to succeed- they will persist until all that is left is a perfect sphere.
Never a break in the chain, never folly a conviction; may the ashes of our enemies seal this barren landscape."

Offline Distinct04ZQ8

• Colorado Driver
  • Canada355.ca Recruit
  • BODYBAGD 355
  • Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Achieve 1000 posts. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. For participation and being in attendance for SECSM 2011. For winning an award at SECSM 2011. Winning Truck of The Month. For becoming a Canada355.ca Administrator. How-To's & Donations. Becoming a Canada355.ca President. For organizing/hosting a Meet/Event for Canada355.ca.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
I've reveiwed all the other threads and definitely taken some good tips from them. I would prefer a snap in (others have done buy integrating the magent case to hold it) as opposed to a slide in from the side. At this point I'm just waiting for the new iPad mini with retina display to come out in a couple weeks before I can make the fibreglass mold. Stay tuned.

Offline Distinct04ZQ8

• Colorado Driver
  • Canada355.ca Recruit
  • BODYBAGD 355
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:51 PM »
picked up the iPad today and a snap case I think should work as the back plate behind the bezel. Just a couple teaser pics (I'm teasing myself really) LOL. Plan on cutting into the bezel next week and starting some fibreglass work.

Offline 800800

• Canada355.ca Veteran
  • I'm a "Special" Edition!
  • Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Achieve 2500 posts. Achieve 1000 posts. How-To's & Donations. Has/Had public service job; Police, Firefighters (volunteer), EMT, TSA, etc.
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 11:59:29 PM »
So you're going to use it as a head unit then?
#800800forTOTY
"Steadfast soldiers with the hands of gods, with numbers to succeed- they will persist until all that is left is a perfect sphere.
Never a break in the chain, never folly a conviction; may the ashes of our enemies seal this barren landscape."

Offline Zeuce

• Canada355.ca God
  • Tech Staff, -PG Off-Road Crew-
  • Winning Truck of the Year For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2014. Finished in 3rd place at the end of the Picture Challenge Game. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times Winner of the Annual Dirtiest Truck Competition For purchasing a Canada355.ca Contributing Exclusive Membership. For becoming a Canada355.ca Moderator. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013. Achieve 10000 posts. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Becoming a Canada355.ca President. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2012. For winning an award at WCSM 2012. Achieve 5000 posts. Achieve 2500 posts. Finished in 2nd place at the end of the Picture Challenge Game. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2010. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2011. For purchasing a Canada355.ca Premium (One Year) membership. For becoming a Canada355.ca Administrator. For organizing/hosting a Canada355.ca Super Meet. Winning Truck of The Month. Has had their 355 in a magazine, on a retailer's website, or promoted Canada355. How-To's & Donations. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Becoming a Canada355.ca Technical Staff Member. Awarded to a member for helping another individual with no personal gain For organizing/hosting a Meet/Event for Canada355.ca. Achieve 1000 posts.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »
Are you going to be able to pop the pad out? Not sure how it will like our winter temps? Awesome idea tho!!!
Like my Signature banner? Larger custom sig banners included with every Gold and Silver membership

Visit our 355 family below the 49th parallel www.355nation.net   Lifted Club Member #1
3" BL 4" skyjacker sitting on 33X12.50R18's

Offline Distinct04ZQ8

• Colorado Driver
  • Canada355.ca Recruit
  • BODYBAGD 355
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 06:56:14 PM »
Are you going to be able to pop the pad out? Not sure how it will like our winter temps? Awesome idea tho!!!

Yes, the snap in case will be attached to the bezel and I will be able to pop it out easily. I dont drive my truck in the winter anyways but wanted it this way so i can also use the iPad at home.

So you're going to use it as a head unit then?

Yes.