Author Topic: Rough idle after engine swap  (Read 471 times)

Offline AJ1794

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • "Racetruck"
  • Has had their 355 in a magazine, on a retailer's website, or promoted Canada355. Becoming a Canada355.ca Technical Staff Member. Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2016 For winning an award at WCSM 2016 For those that have wrecked their 355 and rebuilt it or purchased an 355. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Achieve 1000 posts. Winning Truck of The Month for the Third Time. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2015. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times For winning an award at WCSM 2015 Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Winning Truck of The Month for the Second Time. For becoming a Canada355.ca Moderator. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2014. For winning an award at WCSM 2014. Awarded for having 200,000+ kilometers on their truck. Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Winner of the Annual Cleanest Truck Competition For purchasing a Canada355.ca Contributing Exclusive Membership. How-To's & Donations. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013.
    • Awards
Re: Rough idle after engine swap
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
Here's the wiring diagram for an 04 Colorado, should apply to you anyways:

And the fuseblock connector for the solenoid. Connector C7 (light grey) pin E2

Since the canister vent is normally open, your misfire could be coming from the EVAP system since it would be sucking in fresh air from the canister vent when the purge solenoid is open since it can't close due to lack of voltage.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:00:13 PM by AJ1794 »

'04 Colorado ZQ8 - 3.5L I5 5-speed | QA1 Suspension | Volant CAI | Borla XR1 | Hyper Silver Xtremes | Want to see more? Check it out >HERE< | IG: aj_1794 |
4 Time ToTM Winner | 4 Time WCSM Award Winner

'09 Colorado Z71 - 5.3L V8 | Volant CAI | Borla Pro-XS | PTB

Offline Strykr

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
You rock!!!

Out of curiosity, where did you get the pictures? I've tried to search for shop manuals and the only one I found was oddly layer out and a pain to read. Lol

I'll let you guys know what I find out!

Forgot to ask, in the first diagram what is B+ ? Battery positive?

Offline AJ1794

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • "Racetruck"
  • Has had their 355 in a magazine, on a retailer's website, or promoted Canada355. Becoming a Canada355.ca Technical Staff Member. Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2016 For winning an award at WCSM 2016 For those that have wrecked their 355 and rebuilt it or purchased an 355. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Achieve 1000 posts. Winning Truck of The Month for the Third Time. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2015. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times For winning an award at WCSM 2015 Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Winning Truck of The Month for the Second Time. For becoming a Canada355.ca Moderator. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2014. For winning an award at WCSM 2014. Awarded for having 200,000+ kilometers on their truck. Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Winner of the Annual Cleanest Truck Competition For purchasing a Canada355.ca Contributing Exclusive Membership. How-To's & Donations. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013.
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
Alldatadiy.com

You make an account and you have access to everything for whatever vehicle you need. There's also paper manuals you can get at CT.

Yes B+ is battery positive.

'04 Colorado ZQ8 - 3.5L I5 5-speed | QA1 Suspension | Volant CAI | Borla XR1 | Hyper Silver Xtremes | Want to see more? Check it out >HERE< | IG: aj_1794 |

Offline Strykr

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
By CT do you mean Canadian tire? If so I do have the crappie Haynes lol

Offline Strykr

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 11:27:49 PM »
Well everything is fixed and cleaned up/at the fuse box. Now get full voltage at the fuse, but the connector is still shorting between the fuse box and the solenoid. I will need to go to work to use the lift this week and find the short as i don't have enough clearance to do that under the truck.

Also on a side note, I looked into why I don't have interior heat and I need to replace the resistor harness and resistor. But that's not a big deal as I don't need heat if the truck isn't running properly.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:46:24 PM by Strykr »

Offline AJ1794

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • "Racetruck"
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 10:47:33 PM »
Here's the chassis harness that feeds the EVAP stuff out back. The body to chassis connector (C102) that goes to the fuse box C7 connector is behind the battery and it runs down between the left fender and engine then along the left frame rail. Your issue is most likely along here. The B+ wire is pin F in the male connector (latch facing up, top row, third from right, there should be small raised letters in the connector to identify it.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:00:27 PM by AJ1794 »

Offline Strykr

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 12:32:44 AM »
I fixed the evap short, which helped the truck. But I still have a random misfire code, I decided to spray around the injectors and the rpms rose. So I'm pretty sure I need to replace the injector orings, on 3 and 5. But of course they don't stock those in a set of 5 (only sets of 4ea) so I have to buy two packs of both top and bottom orings.

$45 at Napa

Im really hoping this will fix the issue, also have a new fuel filter on order as i dont know when/if it ever was replaced by the original owner.

Offline Strykr

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »
Today I received a box with a few parts I got to change out.

Replaced the blower resistor and harness just to find out that it didn't fix my issue of the blower not working at any speed. Although the harness did melt so it needed changing anyways. The ground pack looks new, so that's not the issue either. Tomorrow I will hook the blower up to a battery to see if it spins and if so I'll be tracking down the wiring to see where the issue may be.

I also got a new fuel filter and my injector O-rings, those are top of the list for replacing as I'm sure the orings are what is causing my misfire.

Would LOVE to have this truck running properly, hate throwing parts at it and wasting time even though a lot of parts needed replacing anyways.

Offline Strykr

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
Found the blower issue, after changing the resistor and harness it started to work randomly. So I figured it would be a wiring issue because when turning it would kick on and off. I gave the connection a push and she worked when there was pressure, so I'll be checking the connection to see if it's corroded or bent.

Well I found my issue was the injector which had a missing cap and oring on cylinder 5. Sadly they don't sell just the cap so thankfully I managed to get a full set of injectors plus the rail for a very cheap price.

Tomorrow I'll put them on the truck and hopefully this will be the end of my misfire issue :)

Offline Strykr

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
Well I fixed the blower connection, it was burnt so I cleaned it and bent it back into place as a temporary fix. I'll be ordering a harness in the next few weeks.

As for the injectors I cleaned the new ones,  replaced the orings and she runs perfectly now. Not a single engine issue anymore :)

Thanks everyone for the help to get this fixed.