Author Topic: 4hi dashlight just blinks etc  (Read 469 times)

Offline pheengurs

• Awards
4hi dashlight just blinks etc
« on: May 18, 2017, 09:05:33 PM »
hey all!

been lurking reading as much as possible before making an assume of myself  :thumbsup:

07 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4x4 3,7L I5, 4l60e, T150 tcase  with the G80, burgundy with black/grey cloth interior, stock cooper 'offroad' tires, and whatnot...  287,000kms

I have the typical (as per the number of posts on the subject) issue of 4wd not engaging properly or at all .. I have no helpers so I'm on my own here...

had the truck on jackstands .. trying to get it to go into 4wd HI, or LO for that matter...

When I press the 4HI dash button, key on, in park or N or Drive, I can hear the device at end of t-case making an electric motor type noise .. no actuation noises heard from front.   Light just blinks forever, never gives up...  -- rear driveshaft & wheels move, but front wheels do not, tho the front driveshaft does move...

When I press 4LO dash button from 2HI, key on, in N, I hear device at end of t-case same as 4HI, then some clunking/pinging...  But same as HI, no 4wd action, and light just blinks away...  -- rear driveshaft & wheels move, but front wheels do not, tho the front driveshaft does move...

I checked the wire / sheathing condition from the 4 or 5 connectors on the tcase to as far as I could follow them .. I see no abrasions or dry/cracked/abnormal looking issues there...  I went to the front actuator harness wiring and followed it as far as I could go, same issue, nothing glaring wrong there...

I've cleaned and dielectric greased batt + - connections, both + connections @ engine bay fusebox, both ground common points on both engine bay fenders ...

after reading all those previous posts on the matter I then figured it must be the Front 4wd Actuator, so I unscrewed the front actuator and oil started dripping out of the hole where the unit was installed ??? (neither haynes nor the $300 - 3 - book factory service manuals say oil will come out of there!) 

do I have a bad seal in there somewhere???  is that why my actuator went bad???

Anyway, with wiring still attached, I tried hitting 4HI again, and the plunger doesn't move on the front actuator...  The wiring pigtail has 12+volts on ign voltage pin, the ground pin has less than .05 ohm resistance to batt ground, and the other two connector pins have next to no voltage in them (with ign on, 4HI button pressed and blinking away)  If there is momentary voltage to be seen I cannot get there fast enuf to see it...

I've ordered a new actuator from Rock Auto, as they are fully $150cdn less than anywhere else I look...  won't get here until mid week which means my may long will be bored at home...

so what do you think?  any advice?

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:32:53 PM by pheengurs »

Offline pheengurs

• Awards
Re: 4hi dashlight just blinks etc
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:31:07 AM »
any ideas folks?

should there be oil coming from the front axle actuator hole when it's removed?

or should I post over at the main 355 forum instead?

Offline AJ1794

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • "Racetruck"
  • Has had their 355 in a magazine, on a retailer's website, or promoted Canada355. Becoming a Canada355.ca Technical Staff Member. Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2016 For winning an award at WCSM 2016 For those that have wrecked their 355 and rebuilt it or purchased an 355. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Achieve 1000 posts. Winning Truck of The Month for the Third Time. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2015. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times For winning an award at WCSM 2015 Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Winning Truck of The Month for the Second Time. For becoming a Canada355.ca Moderator. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2014. For winning an award at WCSM 2014. Awarded for having 200,000+ kilometers on their truck. Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Winner of the Annual Cleanest Truck Competition For purchasing a Canada355.ca Contributing Exclusive Membership. How-To's & Donations. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
Based on the service manual directions, it says to apply Teflon tape to the threads of the actuator so I'm going to say that it most likely does come into contact with the gear oil.

Also looking at the parts diagram it shows that the actuator (30) engages the shift fork (20) to engage 4WD and it appears to be bathed in oil. Having the front higher than the rear may cause more oil to come out than normal.

'04 Colorado ZQ8 - 3.5L I5 5-speed | QA1 Suspension | Volant CAI | Borla XR1 | Hyper Silver Xtremes | Want to see more? Check it out >HERE< | IG: aj_1794 |
4 Time ToTM Winner | 4 Time WCSM Award Winner

'09 Colorado Z71 - 5.3L V8 | Volant CAI | Borla Pro-XS | PTB

Offline pheengurs

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »
thanks for replying AJ ;-)  that answers the oil question... 

so I got my new actuator .. installed it with teflon tape as per your post and service manual ...  same issue, 4hi just blinks... 

I yanked the new actuator out, left it hanging by the wires, and tried hitting the 4hi button, and I see no movement whatsoever from the unit...  same issue with the old one, which is why I bought a new one .. wtf?

It should push a lever outwards when hitting the 4hi button right???  seems like it should...

Offline AJ1794

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • "Racetruck"
  • Has had their 355 in a magazine, on a retailer's website, or promoted Canada355. Becoming a Canada355.ca Technical Staff Member. Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2016 For winning an award at WCSM 2016 For those that have wrecked their 355 and rebuilt it or purchased an 355. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Achieve 1000 posts. Winning Truck of The Month for the Third Time. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2015. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times For winning an award at WCSM 2015 Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Winning Truck of The Month for the Second Time. For becoming a Canada355.ca Moderator. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2014. For winning an award at WCSM 2014. Awarded for having 200,000+ kilometers on their truck. Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Winner of the Annual Cleanest Truck Competition For purchasing a Canada355.ca Contributing Exclusive Membership. How-To's & Donations. For participation and being in attendance for WCSM 2013.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 07:02:42 PM »
Yes, the actuator should extend when you push the 4HI button. It sounds like your wiring might be the issue.

'04 Colorado ZQ8 - 3.5L I5 5-speed | QA1 Suspension | Volant CAI | Borla XR1 | Hyper Silver Xtremes | Want to see more? Check it out >HERE< | IG: aj_1794 |

Offline pheengurs

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 07:10:40 PM »
ok, just did that trick where you turn ign on, hit 4hi, then turn off ign ... then turn ign back on, and it does indeed move that front axle actuator plunger outward .. so that eliminates the wiring to the front actuator, and I've already eliminated the tcase actuator unit as previously posted ...

so what, then it'll be one of the two sensors on the tcase that have gone bad or a wiring issue to them then ???

Offline pheengurs

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
lol and now I reinstalled the actuator and I tried engaging 4hi while up on jackstands to see if all 4 wheels actually turned while the 4hi was blinking ... and it actually engaged properly .. no flashing in 4hi .. and all 4 wheels turned. 

ok

so I tried going from 4hi to 4lo, put trans in Neutral first, then hit 4lo, I hear the customary actuator noises and the clunk, but 4lo continues to blink, but all 4 wheels are turning, and its definitely in low range... 

but while the transmission is in Neutral, none of the wheels should be spinning, right ???  what does that mean??? 

so mechanically it is fine .. best guess would be to swap in new sensors on the tcase? 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:58:57 PM by pheengurs »

Offline AJ1794

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • "Racetruck"
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2017, 07:48:31 PM »
With the truck on the ground, try engaging 4HI when moving very slowly. I've had times where the teeth must not have been lining up in the t-case or front diff collar and it keeps flashing until I move and it can engage. Maybe that's what it's been? Usually when I've needed 4HI I've always engaged it while driving, but it usually goes first time when I'm stopped as well.

Were the wheels turning slower when you tried 4LO? If it was still blinking when you tried it might have still been in 4HI even after you had it in neutral.

I suppose like you've said, the only thing left to replace are the sensors.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 07:53:29 PM by AJ1794 »

Offline pheengurs

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 08:05:54 PM »

I'll give that a shot once I've got her on the ground... I'm also replacing all the ujoints this weekend...

the wheels were definitely turning slower in 4lo, for sure... and 4lo was blinking the whole time...  and note that despite the transmission being in Neutral, all 4 wheels were spinning in 4lo, and 4hi I think...  is that odd??? 

aside from the actual sensors themselves, I suppose I could have a bad wire somewhere...  this truck is superclean inside and underside.  I highly doubt it's seen real offroad use .. just standard Calgary winter driving I'd expect... which is why I suspect devices over wiring, however I have not pulled the driver seat and had a look at that unit to see if it's wet or showing signs of being wet ...

Offline boddah

• Colorado Driver
  • Canada355.ca Recruit
  • LIFTED MEMBER XIII
  • Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Winning Truck of The Month for the Second Time. For participation and being in attendance for SECSM 2014. Awarded to a member for helping another individual with no personal gain Achieve 1000 posts. For participation and being in attendance for SECSM 2013. For winning an award at SECSM 2013. Awarded for having been apart of the site for 5+ years, and still active. Winning Truck of the Year Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. For participation and being in attendance for SECSM 2012. For organizing/hosting a Meet/Event for Canada355.ca.
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »
I had this happen and it was the switch in the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline parts_guy

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times Winning Truck of The Month for the Second Time. Winning Truck of The Month. For those that have wrecked their 355 and rebuilt it or purchased an 355. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Achieve 1000 posts. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Finished in 2nd place at the end of the Picture Challenge Game. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. Awarded for having 200,000+ kilometers on their truck. For participation and being in attendance for SECSM 2014.
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 06:00:44 PM »
Mine performs the same way.  Put it in 4hi, turn off the ignition and it works etc. I  bought a new switch for the dash (cheap online), and it didn't fix mine. When I am healthier, I will crawl underneath and do the sensors.

I will be lurking to see what fixes yours too.
parts_guy

Offline Mascott

• I like dirty
  • Awarded to a member for helping another individual with no personal gain Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. Winning Truck of The Month. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 08:00:15 PM »
AJ's last post is exactly what I was going to say.
2010 5.3L V8 GMC Canyon SLE Z71 Crewcab 4x4 | 1-1/2" Body Lift | 2" TBar Crank | 3/4" Front Diff Spacers | Ball Joint Flip | 2" Rear Shackles | Bilsteins | 285/70R17 Duratracs | Utlra Wheels | Body Mount Trim | K&N | Intake Tube | E-Fan | PTB | Big 3 | Dyno Tuned | Shift Kit | Servos | Beast Sunshell | Wide 2-4 Band | Z-Pack 3-4 Clutch | Trans Cooler | 2200RPM Stall Converter | Synthetic Everything | E-Brake Relocate | Tonneau Cover | Bed Rack | Auto Tailgate Lock | Black Door Handles | Line-X Bedliner | Custom Tube Bumpers | Weathertech Floor Liners | Vent Visors | Blazer Overhead Console | Dual Hi/Lo Mod | LED Dome, Footwells and Glove Box | Tinted Brake Lights..... To Be Continued....

Offline pheengurs

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 11:51:18 AM »
ugh all kinds of life related crap getting in the way of solving this problem...  I appreciate all the replies and suggestions!

anyway, she's on the ground now, whether rolling slow or stopped, it appears to be engaging and working normal in 4HI.

4LO still blinks and clunks .. and appears to be working, but still blinking... 

I haven't tried it in 4hi/lo, but when in 2hi and trans in Neutral it does not roll anywhere... perhaps it moving the wheels while in 4wd up on stands is normal without the weight of the truck on the wheels...

So the old front actuator is back in, (as there was apparently nothing wrong with it).  Aside from changing fluids from both diffs and tcase (which did indeed need changing) and physically checking the condition of all related visible 4wd wiring & connectors, I've really done nothing to resolve the problem... 

I will get my hands on a new dash selector switch unit as well... 

I Tried looking up those t-case sensors, and could not find reference to them on napa or gmpartsdirect ... anyone have part#'s for them ??? 

Offline parts_guy

• Canada355.ca Recruit
  • Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar 3 times Winning Truck of The Month for the Second Time. Winning Truck of The Month. For those that have wrecked their 355 and rebuilt it or purchased an 355. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar twice. Achieve 1000 posts. Awarded to a member who has been on the pages of a Canada355.ca calendar. Finished in 2nd place at the end of the Picture Challenge Game. Has owned 2 or more 355 or has owned theirs for 6+ years. Awarded for having 100,000+ kilometers on their truck. Awarded for having 200,000+ kilometers on their truck. For participation and being in attendance for SECSM 2014.
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:34 PM »
I think these are the parts you seek:
parts_guy